- Get your annual gynecologic check-up and regular pap tests, which can help detect abnormal cells early.
- Talk to your doctor about your family’s health history, especially if your mother, grandmother or sister has had a history of breast, cervical, or ovarian cancer.
- Discuss your birth control options and practice safe sex. More than 20 sexually transmitted diseases have been identified. Many of these—if untreated—can increase susceptibility to illness, cervical cancer, ectopic pregnancy, or infertility.
- Eat a healthy diet to maintain a healthy body weight. Your menstrual cycle is highly dependent on your weight. Women who are too thin or too heavy may start to experience problems, such as loss of period, or excessive or irregular flow.
- Kegel exercises keep the pelvic floor strong, while yoga is good for the mind and can relax the body to reduce pelvic pain.
- Work out regularly to maintain good cardiovascular fitness and a healthy, age-appropriate weight.
- Plan your pregnancy. Once women are into their mid 30s, it becomes more difficult to get pregnant and the risk of miscarriage increases. Good health prior to becoming pregnant is beneficial to you and your baby. A pre-conception check-up is highly recommended to help determine whether you are at risk so you can treat any medical issues beforehand, while easing the stress of pregnancy and delivery.
- Maintain good vaginal health by avoiding both harsh soaps and douching. This will reduce irritation and yeast infections.
At MIRI Women’s Health, our highly trained and specialized doctors and staff offer you better solutions and care. Our approach to gynecologic surgery, including hysterectomy, begins with the MIRI Patient Experience, which includes personalized plans from initial consultation to follow-up care. With the latest in advanced minimally invasive techniques, alongside our added touch of care and sensitivity, you truly have a place where you can finally find the solution to your symptoms, and get the attention you deserve.