Endometriosis is a chronic, often painful condition in which the tissue that normally lines the inside of your uterus instead grows on other parts of the body. This “misplaced tissue” or endometrial lesions most often appear on the ovaries, fallopian tubes, and the tissues surrounding the uterus, though they can be found in other places such as the bowels and bladder.
Endometriosis affects at least 5 million American women, though there may be many more with the condition who do not have any symptoms. For those who do experience symptoms, the pain caused by the condition can be subtle to debilitating. Your symptoms may include:
- chronic pelvic pain (which gets worse before and during periods)
- heavy bleeding
- bleeding or spotting between periods
- pain during sex
- painful urination during periods
- stomach problems such as diarrhea, constipation, and nausea
There is no cure for endometriosis, though there are ways to control your pain and symptoms. For example:
- Over-the-counter medications such as ibuprofen may relieve more mild pain associated with endometriosis.
- Alternative therapies such as acupuncture, chiropractic manipulation, Chinese herbs and supplements (under the care of a licensed provider) may also reduce discomfort.
- Hormone therapy such as birth control may be successful in controlling hormone levels so the buildup and breakdown of endometrial lesions is kept to a minimum.
Procedures to control symptoms may include:
- A minimally invasive procedure in which a lens on a thin tube is inserted through a small incision in the abdomen to determine the extent and location of endometrial growths.
- The minimally invasive surgery will be performed to remove the uterus and endometrial lesions if severe symptoms persist.
At MIRI Women’s Health, our highly trained and specialized doctors and staff offer you better solutions and conservative treatments for your endometriosis. Our approach to gynecologic surgery, including hysterectomy, begins with the MIRI Patient Experience, which includes personalized plans from initial consultation to follow-up care. With the latest in advanced minimally invasive techniques, alongside our added touch of care and sensitivity, you truly have a place where you can finally find the solution for your symptoms, and get the attention you deserve.